Friday, March 03, 2006

Wow, it's been a long break!

I kind of took a break since we weren't working on any HUGE projects. Let's see, we did get our outdoor furnace in and it's working great! It's so nice not having a gas bill! lol

We have done a few small decorative projects, like my daughter's bedroom, family room and the toyroom.

We are in the process of working on one of the small buildings. It was a milk house and we are going to use it as a chicken coop. It's going to be really cute. Of course, the previous owners also let this building go, so we are having to replace some of the wood. I will be sure to share pictures of it. We will paint it to match the house, and I have an adorable chicken weathervane that I'm going to put on the cupola.

Jerry is in the process of tearing down an old barn. It always makes me so incredibly sad when a barn is torn down, especially when the barn still has good bones and pretty good skin! It's a barn that I have loved since I was a child. I remember the farmhouse with this barn burning when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, in the early 80's. We could see the fire from our house. The barn has stood on this pretty homestead property all these years, admired by many. It is owned by a family that has formed a corporation. They want it torn down so they don't have to pay the taxes on it anymore! :( They farm a ton of land. The only silver lining is the fact that my husband is the one that gets to take it down and salvage the wood. We plan on using the wood to reside our barn, because our poor barn's exterior is in SAD shape! So, this wood will get a 2nd life. We also plan on using the wood for our porches. I will share pictures of this barn soon. This corporation also has another barn, possibly 2 more that they want taken down, so Jerry is really anxious to get those jobs as well. There is a house with one of the barns, and it's just gorgeous. It's been let go for many years, but it's awesome! The family that rents it now, farms for them, and is in the process of building a new house. My fear is that they will destroy the house too! :( I'll be sure to keep you updated!

It feels good to be back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home